I was given a seemingly simple problem that turned out to be a very fun project. I was asked to reorganize a form. The elements in this form are very core to what a Sharethrough Advertiser is trying to accomplish. This form was very complex but needed to be understood by a wide range of user types, from power users to newbies.
Using some existing design patterns within the application I wireframed some ideas. After landing on something we liked, I created a high fidelity prototype. Creating a simple ruby on rails app so I could put some static pages on a server to share with others and get feedback. I asked users to target a specific group using this form.
We used some of the user and developer feedback to finalize the form. We simplified a few things and created some new patterns. In the end we had something that was fairly simple to implement and highly effective.